Cross walks are being repainted, new jeans are being bought and kids are squeezing in as many late nights as possible. It’s almost time for school to start again and we know you green living parents want to set your kids off on the right path.
So we’ve put together our favorite tips and links to make sure this school year is healthful for your children and the planet!
- Green their lunchbox. Gone are the days of the brown paper bag, but what to use instead? Luckily, there are options that are functional, fun, and eco-friendly. Two of our favorites come from Laptop Lunches and Planet Box. Both are BPA and PVC free, and Laptop Lunches’ offerings are super colorful and even made of recycled materials.
- Offer reusable utensils. To-Go-Ware makes fun, bamboo utensil sets that come in their own handy sleeves. Bamboo is a great sustainable alternative to petroleum based plastics and To-Go-Ware’s utensils fit easily into small hands. Plus you’ll be supporting a company with a strong social responsibility focus.
- Ditch the “Lunchables”. Busy parents need quick, healthy alternatives to processed lunch meats and canned products loaded with sugar. Check out Rachel Ray’s fun assortment of kid-friendly lunch ideas for a delicious change from the standard PB&J. Shop your local farmers’ market for seasonal goodies, and try adding cut-up fresh fruit instead of sugary desserts.
- New shoes for every kid. It’s a ritual: kids destroy their shoes over the summer and parents take them shopping for new ones as the first day of school approaches. How about ensuring that a child less fortunate than yours also gets a new pair of shoes this year? Tom’s brand shoes makes it easy for you to help a child: they donate a pair for every pair you buy. So check out their engaging colors and comfortable styles.
- Start fresh with new oral care products. You know the toothbrush that came back from camp looks like it was used for craft projects, so have your kids pick out a new toothbrush as part of their back to school shopping trip. Preserve makes toothbrushes with handles constructed from 100% recycled plastic, and when it’s ready to be changed out in 3 months, kids can mail it back to be recycled. While you’re at it, let your child pick a toothpaste flavor they like: if they choose it, they’ll be more likely to brush. Tom’s of Maine has options that are fluoride-free and other non-toxic options substitute natural cavity fighting xylitol for fluoride.
Here’s to healthful and wonderful school year for your kids and the Earth!